New Media, Old Media, and E-readers
- Barnes and Noble’s e-reader, the Nook, looks promising as Kindle competitor (and book sharing device!).
- The Rumpus’ account of last week’s New Yorker Festival is titled “James Franco’s Face.”
- Jacket Copy suggests that because their paper gave Le Clézio’s Désert a bad review, that the Nobel Prize in Literature is becoming “esoteric” and “wrong-headed.” Ugh, close-minded print newspaper.
- And now to take back the above statement about print media back with Harper’s lovely “Blake–To Autumn.” Illuminating.
- Thomas Fleming on “The ‘Sin’ of Humility.”
- A video of Tony Judt’s lecture “What is Living and What is Dead in Social Democracy.”
- A scientific explanation of why males cat-call females on the street. I always blamed it on the nature of the city, but I guess it’s primeval.
Business and Politics
- Obama’s looking to make things harder for huge business, thus easier for the small ones.