I loved this Gawker quote about the “ironic trailer park” they are building in Bushwick: “Every year they add a new level to the Dantean inferno that is artistic living in Brooklyn.”
- “What a wonderful thing it is, that such a great success should occasion me such intolerable anxiety and disappointment!” Charles Dickens on A Christmas Carol. The Guardian discusses why the book didn’t give the writer a surplus of holiday cash.
- Taschen will bring you back to the glory days of Playboy Magazine for about a thousand bucks.
- January Magazine on the best unread books of the decade.
- Over at Lit Drift, Andrew Boryga discusses reading The Brothers Karamazov in high school.
- At Granta, Helen Simpson and Blake Morrison pick their best books of the year.
- Todd P doesn’t want to make SXSW look any cooler, so he wants to go to Mexico.
- At Stereogum, Brendan Stosuy gives us the best metal albums of ’09.
- Maud Newton tells us pretty much everything we need to know about Christmas.
- In Sweden, they watch Donald Duck on Christmas Eve.
On the big screen and the small.
- PBS to be rated by Nielsen.
- It’s not good geek etiquette to ogle the abs of Sherlock.
- A letter from Rick Moody at Fictionaut.
- Jami Attenberg’s “Crutch” up at Five Chapters.