“The faux-democratic ideal of plain-spokenness, the sense that a novelist should not write too beautifully or he sacrifices some vaguely articulated, semi-mystical claim to honesty, is not a million miles away from the Sarah Palin-ish suspicion of east coast liberals, or a Harvard education, or people who know the dates of wars.” – Katie Roiphe feels it necessary to go on the defensive for John Updike on the anniversary of his death.
- Ben Shattuck at The Morning News on historians studying the cause of the Salem witch trials and history being an “imperfect science.”
- Douglas Rushkoff on making the leap fro media theory to fiction.
- Mort Persky at the Los Angeles Review of Books on the art of the newspaper column.
- The Rumpus talks to Chelsea Wolfe.
- Watch a teaser of the Bill Callahan tour documentary at Pitchfork.
Follow Vol. 1 Brooklyn on Twitter, Facebook, Google + and our Tumblr.
Got tips for Bites? Info@Vol1brooklyn.com