Hemingway’s short story “The Snows of Kilimanjara” may make a resurgence in the coming years, as the African snows, once “as wide as all the world…and unbelievably white,” of the sky-high peak could be completely obsolete within as little as 12 years.
- Is the Internet making you illiterate?
- Colson Whitehead on choosing What to Write Next: play darts!
- The Millions has compiled a descriptive list of Difficult Books. I like this. Let’s read them.
- Somerset Maugham broke all the rules of travel writing. (Thanks Maud Newton)
- Publisher’s Weekly’s list of Top 10 Books of 2009, and their reviews.
- Out of all the weird diet plans out there, why not just eat bugs?: “High in protein, low in fat, delicious, ubiquitous.”
- You know how celebrities always say they were ugly and awkward in high school? Well, they weren’t. The Daily Beast gives you a photo gallery of celebrities who were also prom royalty (in honor of little Dakota Fanning’s recent win).
- 20 of the Most Shameless Cultural Franchises, including but not limited to The Pussycat Dolls, Friday the 13th, and “much contemporary art.”
- A slide show of cult magazines.