Light Boxes, by Shane Jones, was a good read. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out an appropriate way to review it, so here are a few random thoughts I wrote in my notebook:
- “I’m glad Spike Jonze optioned the book, and not somebody like M. Night Shyamalan.”
- “I hope that Spike Jonze doesn’t use any Arcade Fire songs in the film. Arcade Fire suck.”
- If Tom Waits took magic mushrooms and decided to write a book that was a cross between Where the Wild Things Are, and the French cartoon/film Fantastic Planet, it might be something like Light Boxes.
- I read pages 106-114 while listening to Black Dice songs I downloaded without song titles or album names (sorry)*. It added to the experience.
- “This might be the saddest book I’ve read this year.”
*I’ve paid for 3 Black Dice albums in the past, but I lost them. I’ve also paid to see them a few times.