“…I think it should be theoretically possible to take any premise or image or idea as a starting point, no matter how slight, and build an entire novel out of it.” At Small Demons’ blog, Emily St. John Mandel writes about her influences, geography, and more.
- Do you like smart, intellectual pop music made by folks in Washington, DC? Specifically, the excellent Beauty Pill. The podcast 99 Percent Invisible has details on their latest project.
- Daphne Carr writes about Sharon Van Etten’s recent Mercury Lounge show.
- Writers we like riffing on The Birds, part one: NOW has information on Emily Schultz’s forthcoming novel The Blondes.
- Writers we like riffing on The Birds, part two: Nick Antosca’s new novella, The Obese, has cover artwork.
- Ry Cooder: interviewed at the LA Review of Books‘ blog.