As a tribute to tonight’s discussion, The Future of What?: A Panel on Punk in the 1990s, I present my personal top 5 favorite lyrics from 90’s punk songs.
1. “Kiss the Bottle” by Jawbreaker. The entire song. Not just one specific lyric.
2. “SUCK MY LEFT ONE, SUCK MY LEFT ONE” — Bikini Kill
3. “The eyes have it and the eyes always will
The eyes have it and they’re watching you still”
– “Public Witness Program” by Fugazi
4. “Yesterday I saw this one old girl
But it just wasn’t quite the same
And she said it’s been years
Yeah it’s been years
Since anybody’s called me by that name”
– “Losers of the Year” by Pinhead Gunpowder (written by Aaron Cometbus)
5. “ska sucks”
Also of note: anything by Los Crudos, “Start a band, throw a brick. You lazy fuckers make me sick” by Lifetime.