“Coming from a line of people that sometimes had to scream inside as well as out, I just wanted to know what it felt like. It’s a lovely contradiction, incredibly taxing, but at the same time wonderfully freeing.” Matana Roberts, interviewed at Sound of the City.
- At Beyond the Margins, Liberty Hardy discusses novels by William Monahan, Chris Bachelder, and Magnus Mills.
- “The first time I met Nick Hornby, I took a deep breath and blurted out that my goal was to write the woman’s version of High Fidelity. I wanted to read a book where a woman could like music as much as a guy and not be called a groupie or be told that she sure knew a lot about music for a girl.” Caryn Rose on her novel B-Sides and Broken Hearts, out today.
- McNally Jackson debuts a new event series, Ask Me About… The first title covered? Catch-22.
- The Silent Barn has begun a Kickstarter campaign to pay for renovations after the space’s audio equipment was stolen or destroyed.
- Robert Christgau looks at four recent books on the music industry.