“From where I sit inside the whale, ’70s rockmags and alternaweeklies generated a lost trove of American criticism. With Willis and Nelson added to the eight other names now compiled one way or another — Lester Bangs, Greil Marcus, Robert Palmer, Richard Meltzer, Dave Marsh, Nick Tosches, Jon Landau, and myself — the early record is in a sense complete.” Robert Christgau on recent books by or about Ellen Willis and Paul Nelson.
- Joe Hill on where he does his writing. (Also, his corgi is adorable.)
- Derek Erdman and Joan Hiller talk art, at The Stranger.
- The fine people at Dzanc Books are now the recipients of a grant from the NEA.
- Ted Leo shares his memories of Fugazi.
- The Chieftains and The Decemberists are teaming up. We hope this will prompt Colin Meloy to write an epic prog-influenced song cycle influenced by Celtic mythology.