For fans of smart comics about smart music, it’s a fine thing to hear that a third volume of Phonogram is forthcoming. Writer Kieron Gillen has the details.
- “Rose’s voice is somewhere in the space between Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie’s respective affects, and though she doesn’t match their skill as songwriters and she certainly doesn’t have a genius like Lindsey Buckingham arranging her material, she is nevertheless quite good at building simple strands of melody to a gorgeous climax, particularly in “Gospel/Grace.”” Matthew Perpetua on Frankie Rose.
- Morgan Macgregor on Ann Patchett’s recent Colbert Report appearance and the politics of independent bookstores.
- Ryan Chapman — who will be reading at our 3-Minute Movie Stories event — on this year’s Oscars.
- The Promise Ring get the oral history treatment, from the fine people at the AV Club.
- Last year, we chatted with the band Diehard. Two members of said band now have a Kickstarter up for their Chicago-hot-dog-oriented food truck, of which we heartily approve.
Follow Vol. 1 Brooklyn on Twitter, Facebook, Google + and our Tumblr.